zinc is important for our immune system, for wound healing and your hair. Without this trace element, also, our metabolism would not work. Almost all cells in the body contain zinc. Reason enough to deal a little more with the mineral. Know what zinc can in which food it is, how high is your daily need, and when a dietary Supplement can be useful.
What exactly is zinc?
Zinc is a mineral that our body can not produce itself and to the vital trace elements counts. Zinc must be included in the diet. In your body, it comes only in very small quantities. In particular, in your bones, in your skin, and your hair is zinc. Also, a smaller part is found in the muscles, the liver, and the kidneys. It plays with your metabolism a crucial role, because the mineral is an essential component of numerous enzymes. Many biochemical processes in your body could without zinc do not expire correctly. Thus, it is an essential nutrient, it is important to note.
What do you need zinc?
Zinc is essential for us, but why? The trace element is involved in the function of approximately 300 enzymes in the cellular metabolism and in 50 enzymes contain. Thus, zinc is important for growth, for our skin, the protein synthesis, as well as the sperm production and your immune system. Let's look at a few of these features in detail at:
- growth: For children and young people is a sufficient supply of Zinc is especially important, because a deficiency can lead to Wachtsums and developmental disorders. Zinc also promotes your hair growth, because it activates your energy metabolism. This increases the supply of nutrients to the skin and hair root cells, so that the shed, or diffuse hair loss can arise for this reason.
- Cell division: thanks to the trace elements it ever comes to cell division in our body. To make it tissue is also important for your skin and your connective as well as for wound healing after injury or surgery.
- The immune system: we Have plenty of zinc in the body, our defenses are particularly strengthened. It has anti-viral effect and at the same time improves mucosal structure. In this way, for example, the Penetration of viruses is made difficult through the nose. Therefore, its ability to shorten the duration of colds stirred. By the way, can zinc Allergy symptoms, since it is the release of the inflammatory mediator histamine inhibits.
How high is your need for zinc is?
According to the German nutrition society (DGE) is the difference between the reference values of zinc intakes by age and gender. In adults, the daily Phytatzufuhr is to be observed by food. A high Phytatanteil for example, legumes and whole grain cereals. You eat them in parallel to zinc-containing foods, can not take your body, the zinc is optimal. The Phytatanteil in the food plays in people under the age of 18 years is not a big role.
Below is an Overview of the recommended Intake of zinc:
Recommended daily Intake for infants (estimated value) per day:
- 0 to under 4 months: 1.5 mg
- 4 to 12 months: 2.5 mg
as Recommended Intake level for children per day:
- 1 to under 4 years: 3 mg
- 4 to under 7 years: 4 mg
- 7 to 10 years: 6 mg
- , 10 to under 13 years: girls, 8 mg, young 9 mg
- 13 to under 15 years: girls 10 mg, Boys 12 mg
Recommended daily Intake for adolescents between 15 and 19 years of age per day
- female Teens need approximately 11 mg of zinc
- male Teens need about 14 mg of zinc
Recommended daily Intake of zinc for adults, divided according to low, medium and high Phytatzufuhr per day:
What foods provide zinc?
Zinc should be used daily to be fed, because our body can not produce itself and of the zinc storage are very low. Just what and how much you should eat well to be well supplied? Below is an Overview of animal and vegetable food, the much-zinc contain:
animal food, which a lot of zinc (per 100 g):
- oysters: 39 mg
- liver: 3-6 mg
- beef: 4-5 mg
- cheese (e.g. Emmental): 3-4,5 mg of
Plant-based foods, the a lot of zinc (per 100 g):
- Poppy seeds: 7-8 mg
- pumpkin seeds: 7-8 mg
- sunflower seeds: 5 mg
- flax seed: 4-5 mg
- oatmeal 3-4 mg
- Brazil nuts: 4 mg of
- whole-grain flour: 3-5 mg
- peanuts: 3-4 mg
- buckwheat 2.4 mg
- walnuts: 3 mg
So you optimal zinc supply are, is a varied mixed diet is ideal.
Nutritional supplements: Useful for you?
A healthy person who eats a balanced, covers its zinc requirements, usually with no problems on the diet. But there are exceptions: A Supplement may be appropriate for some diseases, such as chronic diseases of the gastro-intestinal tract. Also, vegetarians and Vegans should pay particular attention carefully to your supply of Zinc. Furthermore, Pregnant and lactating mothers increased zinc needs. Whether a dietary Supplement is advisable, however, should be with the doctor clarified. Only when the doctor uses a blood test for a zinc deficiency can be a solid, a corresponding preparation is useful.
How to know you have a zinc deficiency?
Since zinc performs many different tasks in your body, they can trigger a lack of very different complaints. These include, for example:
- fatigue and lethargy
- , growth problems in children
- , increased susceptibility to infection
- impaired wound healing,
- hair loss, thin hair and brittle finger nails
- skin and mucous membrane damage,
- taste and smell disorders with loss of appetite,
- fungal diseases,
- fertility problems in men and women
What are the symptoms of a zinc Overdose?
Good to know: there is A clear Oversupply of food is barely possible. Who overdosed however, dietary supplements can Nausea get diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain, circulatory problems, or headache. Too much zinc can inhibit in your body, the copper and iron absorption and thus the formation of blood negative affect. Large quantities of zinc can lead to poisoning. Therefore, always be the top priority, to Keep always in consultation with your doctor.
Our tip: that's how you improve the zinc absorption
By coffee, tea and food with a high Phytatanteil is the zinc uptake. Vitamin C and protein increases, you will have to. If you eat for example vitamin C-rich vegetables, such as peppers or broccoli, with zinc-and iron - rich beef, you increase the zinc intake automatically. A bowl of fruits and nuts is also a beneficial and tasty combination.
Healthy and delicious greetings to